Friday, September 4, 2015

As a Bridegroom Rejoices in His Bride




V. J. E. (Viva Jesús Eucarístico) 
Mom, this entry is for you.

On September 29, the Feast of the Archangels, Katie, Ines and I (April) will begin the Novitiate. During the ceremony, we will receive the veil, the habit, and the title of “Sister”. We will part with our long hair, and join the ranks of the Mercedarian Sisters of the Blessed Sacrament. Our beautiful postulant Sisters will be singing for the Mass, and members of our families, friends, and Our Lady of Mount Carmel School will be in attendance. But what does this ceremony really mean? Is it not just another step in a process, another rung to be climbed on some “ladder-to-holiness”? No. For me, this is my first, real “I do”. 

Sure, I have said lots of “yeses” in my life, and every day must be filled with “yeses” if we  choose to love. But there is something so official, so final about this beginning. I suppose the best way I can express it is this: this is my formal engagement announcement. Jesus has asked for my hand, for my whole being in marriage, and I desire to lay down my life for Him. I am so very weak, so very poor, but Jesus sees this, and He loves my weakness. I cannot say that I understand this - no, I struggle so much with my weaknesses. But I can say that I love Him, I want to let Him be my strength, and I desire to be His forever. I look forward to the day in which I can proceed in this covenant of love with the blessing of Holy Mother Church by taking my perpetual vows.

In Heaven, we will be completely united with God. There will be no longer marriage between creatures, but between Christ and His Bride. “For as a young man marries a virgin, your Builder shall marry you; and as a bridegroom rejoices in his bride so shall your God rejoice in you” (Isaiah 62:5). And the way in which He loves… it is so magnificently beyond us. What is so amazing, almost unbelievable, is that we can begin to live this spousal relationship now. Not just by a formal consecration, but in our lives as single people, as husbands, as wives, as sons and daughters, as parents. All of us are called to holiness. All of us are called to be Saints. And all of us are created to love and be loved. We are God’s Beloved, and He is the Lover of our souls, the only One Who truly knows us. And, the more we love God, the more we will let go of our attachments to temporal things, and the more (paradoxically) we will truly be able to love His creation. May Jesus’ Love reign in our hearts, and may we learn to love Him above all. God bless you and your family.

Evangelizing with Mary in the Light of the Eucharist,

April Marie



No comments:

Post a Comment

'
Follow us
Facebook
  
Visit Us

Blog Archive